Sunday, May 14, 2023

Considering a new direction

 There must be a few people thinking that I’ve fallen off the side of the world when it comes to railway modelling, and the truth is exactly that. Since the decommissioning of my old layout (Splitters Swamp Creek) to then start on a new project (Hoskins Hollow) with associated blog, I’ve then had a major change in my working life and have been a Uni student for the last almost two years.

So here I am, with no running layout, three modules of a show layout with backdrops and some models of the main buildings already completed, but then the procrastination/overly critical bug stepped in, and here I am with no progress at all.

Why? Well the modules for HH are over engineered, way too heavy, and I’m not happy with the track layout using shop bought turnouts and flex track. Then there’s the limited time I have for anything railway focused, and there you have it, zero forward movement and even less in motivation space.

A couple of nights ago I had a couple of mates over for a modelling night, the first for ages, and what a difference already. The ability to swap ideas, bounce thought bubbles and see what can emerge from the discussion was hugely energising.

We did spend time talking about simplified module construction, and the Australian Free Mo concept. It got me thinking of constructing a terminal yard, my first thoughts were Toronto, Barraba, and then today it occurred to me that Eugowra would be another possibility. 

I’ve opened up the old research from over five years ago and started revising what I’d come up with.

I wanted to share this with you, as a new start, and maybe there may be some of you still out there interested in reading blogs.

Have a great week!

Oorroo!

Geoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment